Monday, February 18, 2013

Pancake Tuesday Creation! With Duck 'n' Maple!


It was Shrove Tuesday and I had pancakes on my mind for days, I had seen this post by I Am A Food Blog and the pulled pork looked devine but it doesn't agree with me very well. I was tempted to just go with the pain all for my foodies but I decided to come up with my own slightly off the wall creation instead.

I am mighty pleased with the result, it was the best pancakes I have had in quite a long time.  You really really and truely need to try it, if you don't like duck then go with the pork, just slow roast or pressure cook it so that you can shred it nice and easily.

Here is my iphone snapshot first that I put onto my facebook page... it had alot of my peeps drooling.

Pancakes with Shredded Duck and Maple Savoury Sauce

Pancakes:

1 cup Plain (All Purpose) Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Bi Carb Soda
1 tsp Castor Sugar
1 Egg
1 cup Buttermilk

Topping/Sauce:


1/2 Peking Duck or 2 Duck Breasts
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Castor Sugar
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
4 Shallots (Spring Onions)

Take a medium mixing bowl and place the flour, baking powder, bicarb and sugar in the bowl and whisk to mix the raising agents through.

Then add in your egg and buttermilk and whisk until it is a light smooth batter.  Leave mixture and let it sit for 15-30 minutes as you get a better result from a rested mix.

Heat a large frypan on the lowest heat setting on your stove top, and grease with butter.

I found it good to use a cup measure for pouring, scoop some mixture and pour in 3 even circles into your frying pan.  In 2-4 minutes the top of the pancake will bubble, this will indicate it is ready to flip over. Flip the pancakes and cook for a further 3 minutes until lightly golden, then remove from the pan and keep warm on a plate under a tea towel until they are all cooked.

Next take your duck and if you haven't bought it cooked, then cook it as desired.  I bought the easy peasy supermarket peking duck, so I just needed to leave it in the packet and microwave it for 2.5 minutes and let it sit and steam itself for a further 2 minutes, then voila duck ready to shred.

So now you have a piece of exquisitely cooked duck, take 2 forks, curved downwards commence to pull the meat apart so that it is completely shredded in a seperate bowl.

Take all the ingredients for the sauce, please them all in a small saucepan and stir over a medium heat.  Stir to dissolve the sugars and you will have a runny brown sauce, then allow it to simmer and bubble away, stirring occassionally until the sauce thickens to coat the back of your spoon. Then it is ready to serve.

To plate up, stack your pancakes, arrange your shredded duck on top, pour your sauce over the top of your duck and pancakes, then top with some sliced shallots for texture and bite, it is a great balance.

Makes : 2-4 servings / 9-12 medium pancakes (with left over shredded duck with I made into rice paper wraps)

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW!!! This really does look super special! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete